$8 feast (was Changing the topic was [Sca-cooks] Re:New tolist)

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Fri Feb 7 10:19:58 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nancy Kiel" <nancy_kiel at hotmail.com>
> I would love to do suckling pig for an event, but haven't the leasy
idea
> where to get it. Any suggestions?
> Nancy Kiel
> nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
> Never tease a weasel!
> This is very good advice.
> For the weasel will not like it
> And teasing isn't nice.

The technique is rather simple, and not unlike a large roast.  I did my
first one in a standard kitchen even and found out about shortening of
connective tissues as I had a Roast Suckling Curl.  Two can of Munton's
Light Malt Extract and a cracked spine straightened it out . . . long
and humorous story.  The keys are to get the outside hot quickly and
cook over low, slow heat.  Keep it cold and handled safely all the way
through.

I would put it on a spit over coals, about 18" to 24" over the coals.
Rotate it every 15 minutes if you cannot get a motorized spit.  Baste
when turned, or when you think of it.  Use a thermometer to assure of
doneness.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco

Never tease a weasel!