$8 feast (was Changing the topic was [Sca-cooks] Re:New tolist)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 7 11:25:25 PST 2003

>I would love to do suckling pig for an event, but haven't the leasy idea
>where to get it. Any suggestions?
>
>Nancy Kiel

You could call your local butcher store (look in the yellow pages, most
larger cities have one or two).  Usually though, the smallest they might
carry is about 60 to 75 pounds which is probably what you have in mind when
you say suckling, which is really about a 15-35 pound thing and wouldn't
feed many at all.
Two 70-75 pound pigs will fit side by side in an average car top carrier on
ice.  The trick is finding someone tall enough to heave them up there.  My
butcher thought I was nuts but he did it anyway!
Olwen