[Sca-cooks] Why no alcohol?

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur goldbergr1 at cox.net
Fri Feb 7 11:39:27 PST 2003

> Yeah, since I checked that Sauer's vanilla extract is about 35% alcohol.
From
> my knowledge, the Qu'ran prohibits alcohol made from grapes. This has lead
> the development of mead there using honey (which most mead is made out of,
> isn't it? I could be wrong). Another question about mead:Is the only
> ingredient that makes mead from ale is honey? (Improper grammar, yes, but
i'm
> tired...) If not, what exactly constitute a mead? Thanks!

Definitiions:
wine is made from grapes, water and yeast, possibly added sugar. That's it.
beer is made from fermented grains, usually barley, with water, yeast, and
hops
mead is made from honey, water and yeast
    Some specific subtypes of mead are metheglin (added herbs and/or
spices), cyser (made from apple juice and honey), perry (pear juice and
honey), pyment (grape juice and honey) and melomel (made from any other kind
of fruit with honey).
hippocras is a spiced wine or mead

I'm not too clear on the difference between beer and ale, except that one
uses a bottom-floating yeast, and the other a top-floating yeast.

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: Wanted: Programmers.  Some assembly required.

---