[Sca-cooks] OOP - slow cookers

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Feb 8 04:42:36 PST 2003

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>We may have discussed 5-spice powder before, which is why that name stuck in
>my mind. So, what are the five spices in this?

Star anise, cinnamon (or possibly cassia), ginger, white pepper,
liquorice, Szechuan peppercorns, nutmeg, fennel, and cloves (yes,
more than five, I know) have all been known to appear in five-spice
powder in some combination. The liquorice/fennel/anise flavor seems
to pretty well predominate.

>What is your recipe for this 40-clove chicken?

Seems to me she gave it. Your mise-en-place calls for one (1)
chicken, and forty (40) cloves of garlic. Maybe some salt and pepper?
The chicken itself, plus the cooking and softening garlic cloves,
should provide enough liquid for a rather thick, garlic-puree sauce.
This is actually a pretty well-known French (Savoyard???) dish; using
the slow-cooker is just a modernish innovation, so recipes for
Chicken With Forty Cloves of Garlic show up in lots of cookbooks.
Some are more complex than others.

Adamantius