[Sca-cooks] Dinner Tonight

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Feb 10 05:55:31 PST 2003

Also sprach johnna holloway:
>All of what the Master there said except our
>local place runs them through an oven and grills them
>so they are all toasted and the cheese is melted.

Ah, memories of Cuban Sandwiches (whose name in Spanish I've
forgotten, if I ever knew it). Slightly flattened from the sandwich
grilling machine often used -- it looks like an industrial iron and
does both sides at once. Usually involving roast pork, thinly sliced,
with ham, salami, some form of cheese, pickle slices, butter, mustard
and mayo. I'm probably leaving out some total essential, but since
this is a cooked item, there is an absence of the salad-ey garnishes
of lettuce and tomato.

>The History of  Mancino's Grinders and Pizza
>
>The term "Grinder" can be traced back to the east coast,
>where during WWI, Italian immigrants set up sandwich shops
>close to the shipyards.

I'd be curious as to whether this applies to area housing the
Brooklyn Navy Yard, which once had a large Italian immigrant
community, but where, so far as I know, these sandwiches are
invariably known as heroes. But then other large Eastern port cities
could have evolved grinders as described.

I fear for the nationalization of the regional term, sub, due both in
part to a rather aggressively rampant regionalism, and to more than
one now-national chain that sells them.

Adamantius, devotee of prosciutto _or_ sopressata with roasted
peppers and mozzarella, not grilled