[Sca-cooks] Grinding mustard seed

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Mon Feb 10 08:17:43 PST 2003

><SNIP> If you are doing a large quantity of these, you might try one of
the Japanese > mortar and pestles (for a small quantity, this is not a
good idea as all the mustard
> gets stuck in the ridges).  > I think most of the other recipes call
for grinding the mustard dry.

Yeah, most recipes call for 'grinding' seeds with other ingredients, or
do not mention one way or the other.  So, using staggering logic, I
assume that since a couple mention to soak the seeds, that the default
would be dry.  Unless the Goodman mentions soaking as a lesson for the
accepted means of grinding the seed used be everyone else.  Staggering.
I'll hunt for a Japanese mortar . . . ideas where to find one to look at
so I know what I an actually hunting?

> The best method I have found for large quantities is the simplest
kind of
> electric coffee-mill, <<SNIP>>

I have found my little Braun electric grinder is okay, and certainly
best so far.  To get fine enough for what I want, I get that little bit
of almost cooked paste in the bottom.  No awful, but not at all what I
want.  The same happens when I do a pound of seed in the Cuisinart.
They grind down eventually, but the grind is inconsistent and you get
that paste at the bottom that almost or even can full cook after 20 to
30 minutes grinding.  Maybe a little water to deter oil leaching like in
grinding nuts.  Mainly, I want to stay away from electric tools for this
project and look for more hand methods.  I do know of the mill in
Menagier, and have no good example of one, except that it is likely
similar to the hand crank coffee mills somehow.

> Pre-ground mustard flour isn't really period, as the bolting process
used
> for mustard flour was invented in the late 17th/early 18th century.
> Stone-ground mustard meal is a good approximation. <<SNIP>>- Jadwiga
Zajaczkowa

I would be most appreciative of your documentation of the bolting
process for mustard in that time period.  That would be a nice addition
to my (already lengthy) discussion of mustard seed and processing.
Pre-ground mustard is, by definition, mustard seed that was ground by
someone before you buy it.  The fineness that I get in the little tub is
admittedly probably better than I would get at a spicer who is paying
someone to grind up the seeds, but I was/am willing to accept that
difference in the absence of superior product or machine.  The coffee
mill above does not get us any more 'period' <shudder>, so the circle
continues.

I would also appreciate anything you have suggesting what species of
seed was likely in use in southern Europe or Western Europe.  What I
read in Gerard's Herbal seemed to suggest that what is modernly marketed
as yellow mustard is possibly the mustard seed of his time and place.
Bear might be the "answer man" on this botanical history.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo