[Sca-cooks] Anniversary of Amore

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Feb 10 08:45:41 PST 2003

> Why you'd want to make an extract of Red Sandalwood (Adenanthbra pavonina) I
> don't know... I have about a cup left, and trust me, it was never really
> fragrant. It's mostly a food color. Check out this info on red sandalwood:
> http://www.tropilab.com/adenan-pav.html

Actually, since sauders is alcohol soluble but not water soluble, that
might be a way to make pre-prepared food coloring? But when I consider
that, I mean making a tincture of saunders in vodka, wine, or whatever.

> In small amounts I don't know that it would hurt anything, but I've never
> seen it offered without being part of a carrier oil, probably to keep it
> cheap, and that's PROBABLY some petroleum distillate. I tend to keep those
> FAR away, for what research is beginning to show about them.

It is possible to get pure sandalwood oil from a reputable supplier but
expect to pay about $27-$40 an ounce.

I would avoid using essential oils in food unless they are marketed as
food safe (for instance, there's a farm store that sells pure lime oil,
peppermint oil, etc. for flavoring, near me, and you can get peppermint
oil and clove oil for internal consumption at some Pharmacies too.)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The art of losing isn't hard to master;/so many things seem filled with
the intent/to be lost that their loss is no disaster.
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster/of lost door keys, the hour
badly spent." -- "One Art", Elizabeth Bishop