[Sca-cooks] Info on holding cabinets and portable hotboxes?

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Mon Feb 10 15:35:36 PST 2003

hmmm.. can you give me 24 hours?  I have just ordered in as an interlibrary loan a book called the "Hard Times Handbook" which I remember my parents owning.  I am borrowing it for the brilliant ginger beer recipe, but I recall clearly that it contains instructions for at least one form of hot box or unpowered oven.

These used (if I recall correctly) newspaper and carboard boxes and keep heat in well enough that if you bring a pot to the boil on the stove and then put it in the hot box it will continue cooking for long enough to roast a joint.

The book should have arrived by today, so I will nip out at lunchtime and get back to you.

Kiriel