[Sca-cooks] Info on holding cabinets and portable hotboxes?

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Feb 10 17:32:05 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Do any of the pro and semi-pro chefs on the list have recommendations
> for holding cabinets/hotboxes/carriers?

While not a chef of any description ;-) I tend to agree with the suggestions
of using coolers, for a combination of convenience, versatility, safety and
pirice.

Essentially, all you need is an insulated containment method, and coolers
will provide that, while still being food safe and reasonably portable. They
have some fairly large ones on the market now- I've seen them at Sam's Club-
and lining them with newspaper and storing hot food in them works very
nicely. If you want to for even less expensive, the plastic tubs, if
properly lined with insulation such as newspaper, would work as well. I used
two of them filled with ice cubes to haul the veal calf I butchered for
Iasmine's Coronation Feast all over Ohio, as well as storing it for a couple
of days at Duke Andrew's. They worked very well. The trick is the keep them
full so that the hot or cold foods help keep each other hot or cold. The
addition of ice or wrapped hot bricks just keeps things at your preferred
temperature longer.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,