[Sca-cooks] pounded meat slices

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Feb 10 23:21:05 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Well yes. I guess I should have been more explicit. If you have a quarter
> pound of meat why choose a piece of meat that has a small cross section
> and then pound it? Why not choose a different size of meat and cut it
thinner
> to start with? Pounding it doesn't increase the amount of meat; it just
> redistributes it a bit. And yes, for sandwiches I imagine you want a
tender
> piece of meat. otherwise it is hard to bite off the meat and you finally
end
> up with no meat and two pieces of bread or bun left. :-)

Well, you also have specific cuts of meat to deal with- pork tenderloins,
for example, are pretty small in diameter, no matter where you take them
from on the tenderloin. And, sometimes you want a piece that is all the same
thickness, which chicken breasts are not.

Even thickness makes for even cooking, too, so you might pound a smaller
piece of meat thinner and larger if you wanted it as the wrapper for a
stuffing. Legs of lamb are often pounded for that purpose.

Lotsa reasons, Stefan- just depends on what you're trying to accomplish ;-)

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,