[Sca-cooks] Info on holding cabinets and portable hotboxes?

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Tue Feb 11 04:42:36 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <Weaver8002 at aol.com>
> While I'm no where near even a simi-professional, Alton Brown of
"Good Eats"
> fame mentioned on one of his shows that a cooler could also be used
as a hot
> box.  As I recall, he lined the bottom with newspaper, heated bricks
in the
> oven, covered them with more newspaper and the put the carefully
sealed food
> on top and covered with more newspapers before closing.  I've never
tried it,
> but it sounds reasonable and would be cheep.  Margherita the Weaver

I have wrapped 2 bricks in heavy duty foil, heated them in oven at 300F
for about 15 minutes, then placed in cooler for heating.  6 hours later,
there was no appreciable drop in brick temp.  Granted, these bricks are
circa 1920 solid, and have no holes in them.  It's the same theory as
thermal mass ovens.  I don't know if it will last days . . . gotta try
that this weekend.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco