[Sca-cooks] Dinner Tonight

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Feb 11 17:53:35 PST 2003

Here's what the The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language,
Third Edition, has to say on the subject under submarine.

Bear

Regional Note: The long sandwich featuring layers of meat and cheese on a
crusty Italian roll goes by a variety of names. Submarine, sub, and hero are
widespread terms, not assignable to any particular region. Most of the
localized terms are clustered in the northeast United States, where the
greatest numbers of Italian Americans live. Jane Stern, having studied the
great variety of American names for this sandwich, finds that upstate New
Yorkers call it a bomber, while speakers downstate refer to a wedge. In the
Delaware Valley, including Philadelphia and southern New Jersey, the
sandwich is called a hoagie. In Italian restaurants in New England the menu
is likely to include a grinder. Speakers in Miami use the name Cuban
sandwich and in Maine, Italian sandwich, but in the southern Midwest,
according to Stern, the name Italian is common, with both Italian and
Italian sandwich recapturing the authentic nationality of the sandwich. In
New Orleans the same sandwich is called a poor boy and is likely to be
offered in a most un-Italian version featuring fried oysters.