[Sca-cooks] Grinding mustard seed

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 11 21:43:30 PST 2003

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa commented:
> You
> could also buy your mustard sauce ready-made, if you lived in the city: Le
> menagier de Paris directs the reader to buy "At the sauce-maker, a quart
> of cameline for the dinner, and for supper two quarts of mustard. " '
Two *quarts* of mustard for supper??? I don't remember Le Menagier's household as being very large. Even though I like prepared mustards, it takes me a while to go through a *pint* or *half-pint* jar of it. Certainly not one meal.
Since this is to be bought at the sauce maker, I assume this is a prepared mustard and not mustard seed. But that still seems like a lot of mustard.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com