[Sca-cooks] Grinding mustard seed

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Feb 12 07:38:18 PST 2003

> Jadwiga Zajaczkowa commented:
> > Pre-ground mustard flour isn't really period, as the bolting process used
> > for mustard flour was invented in the late 17th/early 18th century.
> > Stone-ground mustard meal is a good approximation. However, I haven't
> > found pre-ground black mustard meal, so I grind a lot of my own. (I just
> > ordered 3 lbs of black mustard from my supplier).
> What makes you think they didn't sift the mustard seed in period? They sifted flour. Sometimes multiple times.

We know, in fact, that they did sometimes sift the mustard powder through
a strainer of coarse linen-- several sources mention it.

However, the modern bolting process that is used for modern pre-ground
mustard flour is much more sophisticated and that is what produces that
very smooth, cornstarch-textured powder.

> Or do you meant that the sifting or the bolting process results in a slightly
> different material? I would think though that buying pre-ground mustard seed,
> like other spices discussed here would result in some of the oils evaporating
> away.

It does differ slightly. Furthermore, it's hard to tell, when you buy
pre-ground mustard powder, whether you are buying regular or hotter
mustard. "Chinese" pre-ground mustard powder is significantly hotter, but
I've found mustard powder in general to be hotter than home ground.

> Since mustard seed was grown locally in Europe, and didn't have to get
> transported from India and Asia to Europe, I'm wondering if the mustard seed
> they had in period might even have been much fresher than the usual ground
> mustard seed in our modern groceries.

Yes, one would definitely think so, though mustard oil isn't as volatile
until liquid is added. Once liquid is added, mustard oil becomes quite
volatile-- which is why I get a bit odd about using commercial prepared
mustards, even period-ingredients ones, in period recipes.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The art of losing isn't hard to master;/so many things seem filled with
the intent/to be lost that their loss is no disaster.
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster/of lost door keys, the hour
badly spent." -- "One Art", Elizabeth Bishop