[Sca-cooks] re: menu copyright?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Feb 12 08:11:20 PST 2003

> So basically if you retype something yourself, and acknowledge where you got
> it, you're safe?

Only if the item in question is in the public domain and you are using
only the public domain portions of it.

So, I can retype from Hyll's Gardener's Labyrinth (1570s) from the Oxford
edition, BUT only the Hyll text. I cannot retype the material added by the
modern editor. Reproducing the illustrations would probably also be not a
great idea, because the actual reproduction of the period item used for
the text would have 'weak copyright protection' as it was described to me.
(This is the protection that allows pictures of statues, etc. to be
copyrighted by the person taking the picture...)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The art of losing isn't hard to master;/so many things seem filled with
the intent/to be lost that their loss is no disaster.
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster/of lost door keys, the hour
badly spent." -- "One Art", Elizabeth Bishop