[Sca-cooks] re: menu copyright?

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Wed Feb 12 07:50:55 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Generys ferch Ednuyed" <generys at blazemail.com>
> So basically if you retype something yourself, and acknowledge where
you got
> it, you're safe?
>
> Generys

Basically, if you are using the document(s) whether copied or
transcribed for personal or educational uses, and do not use it for
monetary gain or personal enrichment beyond educational, you will be
"safe".

If this is a significant issue for you, do go and look on the internet
for actual legal consequences of "copyright infringement" . . . you
might be surprised, pleasantly or unpleasantly.  Be informed as you look
at this.  Once you know the end results, it often becomes easier to
resolve the vagueries of the regulations.  If you're writing
documentation for an SCA A&S entry, this really is a moot point since
that is almost the very definition of one of the exceptions in the fair
use clauses; credit source and place in the bibliography.  If you're
writing a book or article for publication, the stakes get much higher
and consequences more significant.  Do look it up for yourself if this
is a serious matter for you . . . do not take our words for it.  The
internet makes this research a simple matter.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo
(living life as a small fish for now . . . until I am discovered by
Mario Batali
to be abused and harrassed on "Restaurant Rookies"<g>)