[Sca-cooks] re: menu copyright?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Feb 12 12:33:06 PST 2003

> I think you will find you are incorrect in this assertion about
> transcriptions.  A transcription is a derivative work rendering the original
> a more readable text thus creating an intellectually valuable property
> distinctly seperate from the original.  Facsimiles are generally
> copyrightable because additional work by a modern author makes the facsimile
> a new derivative of the original work.

Oops, I can see what you mean. The transcription doesn't become public
domain just because the item is, IF it adds significant value-- if
significant value is added, the new, derivative work is copyrightable. For
instance, the transcribed version of an audio work. However, I believe
that the mere transcription of a printed work into another font, with no
additional material added, doesn't count as a new copyrightable work.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The art of losing isn't hard to master;/so many things seem filled with
the intent/to be lost that their loss is no disaster.
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster/of lost door keys, the hour
badly spent." -- "One Art", Elizabeth Bishop