[Sca-cooks] Cookshop food

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Feb 13 10:42:36 PST 2003

Start out with Carlin and Rosenthal's
Food and Eating in Medieval Europe.
Hambledon Press, 1998. The papers of interest in it
are the following:

Martha Carlin's "Fast Food and Urban Living Standards
in Medieval England."

Margaret Murphey's "Feeding Medieval Cities:
Some Historical Approaches."

Read them and check their bibliographies.

Also see:
Feeding A City: York which is the Leeds Conference
on foods in York. Published by Prospect Books in 2000
and edited by Eileen White.

Two others to look at:
London Eats Out. 500 Years of Capital Dining.
 London: Museum of London and Philip Wilson Publishers, 1999.

and

Londoners' larder :
English cuisine from Chaucer to the present /
Annette Hope. 1990

Of those two, Hope is the better book.

Hope this helps--

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway