[Sca-cooks] Beef help needed ASAP

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Feb 16 04:49:27 PST 2003

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Apollonia commented and asked:
>>152 To make a good roast
>>Take veal or a sirloin of beef, lay it overnight in wine, afterwards stick
>>it on a spit. Put it then in a pot. Put good broth therein, onions, wine,
>>spices, pepper, ginger and cloves  and let it cook therein. Do not over
>>salt it.
>>
>>What type of beef should I get for this?  Most likely it will be coming from
>>a grocery store...
>Interesting. Roast on a spit then take it off and boil it. Or is
>this only a little broth and wine and not enough to actually be
>boiling the meat?
>
>How long are you supposed to cook it on the spit? Perhaps just to brown the
>outside? Because it says to "let it cook therein" about the pot. So it doesn't
>sound like it is already cooked on the spit.
>It's not like parboiling either, though. Because it is cooking on the spit
>first and then in the pot with the liquid. Not cooked/boiled in the liquid and
>then roasted on the spit. Comments?

To me, it sounds kind of like pot roast, first seared and then
finished in liquid. Whether the cut necessitates long braising for
tenderness I can't really say, except that one could probably treat a
big piece of genuine sirloin that way; it probably has enough
connective tissue, if not fat, to make it tender and moist if cooked
a longish time. Or maybe it's simply briefly soaked in the hot sauce,
but it does say to "cook therein", which seems to suggest the major
cooking process is in the wine and broth, rather than on the spit.

The roasting and then boiling may be a medical issue (slightly hot
and dry food, enhanced by roasting, then abated with the cooling,
moist influence of onions and wine), rather than one simply of
culinary quality or preference.

Adamantius