[Sca-cooks] Beef help needed ASAP

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Feb 16 05:29:29 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/16/2003 3:04:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:

> Interesting. Roast on a spit then take it off and boil it. Or is this only a
> little broth and wine and not enough to actually be boiling the meat?

Basically a similar practice to our browning the meat first and then boiling
it to make stew, I would think.  A step often left out of medieval soup and
stew type recipes.

> How long are you supposed to cook it on the spit? Perhaps just to brown the
> outside? Because it says to "let it cook therein" about the pot. So it
> doesn't
> sound like it is already cooked on the spit.
> It's not like parboiling either, though. Because it is cooking on the spit
> first and then in the pot with the liquid. Not cooked/boiled in the liquid
> and
> then roasted on the spit. Comments?

I see this as either browning and then stewing, or partially roasting and
then braising in a pot with a small amount of liquid, essentially steaming
the meat and getting the flavors of the braising liquid into the meat.  In
either case, it sounds quite delicious!

Brangwayna Morgan