Honey Custard was Re: [Sca-cooks] Camp Food)

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Feb 18 16:04:22 PST 2003

Also sprach Terry Decker:
>I think Bonne is speaking of the recipe for Tyropatinum, which is the recipe
>preceding the one you give.  Giacosa refers to it as Honey Custard although
>the actual title means "a dish with cheese."  What may be meant is "a
>cheese-like dish" as there is no cheese in the recipe.

Looks like you're right. The index directed me to that page, and I
went with the first one I saw that looked right. I'm a little unclear
as to "tyro" referring to cheese, but the patinum part seems pretty
clear. Yes, either a dish of cheesy stuff, or a dish of curdled stuff?

Both would seem to be simply sat on ashes or embers or some other low
heat source, uncovered, and cooked until set, a pretty standard
method for patinae of all types.

Anthimus has some steamed dishes, though...

Adamantius