[Sca-cooks] Fwd: request for information

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Feb 19 06:12:11 PST 2003

Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
>On 18 Feb 2003, at 19:22, Patrick McKinnion wrote:
>
>>  (forwarded from the Caid list)
>  > > From: "Donald A. Mumma" <dnbmumma at lvcm.com>
>>  > Date: Tue Feb 18, 2003  6:38:57 PM US/Pacific
>>  > To: <webwright at sca-caid.org>
>>  >
>>  > Tighearna Broichan maqq Kynat,
>>  >
>>  > My name is Gwenhyfar Teg and I am looking to find a medieval marinate
>>  > for Tri-Tip. Could you please help me in this search.
>
>Gentle lady,
>
>Your request was forwarded to the SCA-Cooks list, and it is very likely that
>someone here can answer your question.  It would be helpful to know *what*
>you want to marinate -- what sort of meat, fowl, or fish will you be cooking?

Tri-tip is a portion of the Bottom Sirloin of beef. It's quite tender
and quite flavorful, and runs about two pounds, maybe three. Apart
from a recent trend of using it for barbecuing, with various dry
seasoning rubs used, I don't know why anyone would marinate such a
cut, and seriously doubt it would have been done in the Middle Ages.

On the other hand, a medieval piece of ox beef (I have seen no
evidence that steers were gelded for meat in period) taken from that
anatomical area would probably respond beautifully to the pot roast
recipe (German?) posted to this list the other day.

But I think it would be a criminal attack on a really tender piece of meat.

The 14th-century English recipe for Cormarye, although intended for
pork, would probably be good, too. It involves red wine, lots of
crushed garlic, crushed caraway and coriander seeds, salt and pepper.
The meat is marinated overnight, then roasted, with the pan drippings
reduced with broth to make a sauce.

Adamantius