[Sca-cooks] sugar of A. was question...

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Feb 20 06:07:21 PST 2003

I found this question when I signed on a moment ago.

 Master A and Bear are probably right--

OED says--the place of origin or manufacture, as

sugar of Alisaunder (= Alexandria)

however farther down in the entry one finds

the plant from which it is made

OED then lists this quotation

1430 Two Cookery-bks. 50 Caste a-bouyn Sugre of *Alysaundre

This would be earlier than the 16th century or the
Elizabethans.

Both the words Alisaunder and Alysaundre are used
in Harleian MS. 279. I would think that both mean
Alexandria. Perhaps Cindy can offer an opinion as
glossaries and words from the various Harleians MS.  are her
passion.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway