Honey Custard was Re: [Sca-cooks] Camp Food)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 23 01:12:46 PST 2003

Nancy Kiel said:
> I know boiling puddings was done in period, but I thought cooking them in
> steam was more a Victorian thing (as visions  of A Christmas Carol dance in
> my head).

Hmm. You may be right. Looking through my puddings-msg file I find a number of
entries on steaming puddings, but they seem to be SCA cooks doing this.
Sometimes using steam instead of boiling because it is faster.

There is this message, although I don't know if it answers the particular question about whether boiled puddings wer done in period or not.

I would think though that using steam for cooking puddings would develop after
the development of boiling them. Although pudding was done before 1617 if you
include things like haggis and using casings or small pots to hold the puddings.

> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:35:34 -0500
> From: johnna holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Steamed Puddings...
>
> C. Anne Wilson spends pages 315-322 of her
> Food and Drink in Britain discussing puddings
> and their history in England. Boiled suet
> puddings took off with the invention of the
> pudding cloth which she dates to a mention in
> 1617. Before that time they had used animal guts.
> The other Tudor alternative was to do the pudding
> in a pie crust in a side oven. Check for recipes
> in English works beg. in the 17th century. Karen
> Hess provides a full commentary to go along with
> the pudding recipes contained in Martha Washington's
> Booke of Cookery. See pages 101-112.
>
> Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

Stefan

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com