[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Bread Recommendations?

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Feb 25 23:07:47 PST 2003

>My Lord & I are going to be making it to Pennsic this
>year for war week (YIPPEEEE!!!!!  First time ever for
>him, and first time in years for me) and are trying to
>keep from having to hit the super market (or the
>Cooper's store... well, except for the choco milk)
>while we're there.. Which for most things is okay,
>except.. bread.
>
>We've briefly discussed a dutch oven (I know, not
>period, but.. better than having to get into our
>dragon and drive down the road and go into a
>supermarket, and use plastic to buy bread!), but I was
>wondering if there were any other options that don't
>require serious construction?

To begin with, of course, you can do some baking before you come and
bring bread with you; it should last for a few days.

For on site baking, the fancy approach, which some people have  done,
is to build a clay oven, heat it with a fire inside, rake out the
coals, put in the bread, close it up and open when you think the
bread is done. But that's quite a lot of work.

One alternative is to make frying pan breads. We have one 16th
century Mughal recipe for flatbread and a conjectural reconstruction
of the oat cakes mentioned by Froissart. The former isn't terribly
hard and the latter very easy indeed. You can find both of them in
the Miscellany, webbed at:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

The mughal one is the first recipe in the Miscellany. The oak cakes
are an article near the end of the recipe section.

We also have two frying pan pastries that we are fond of, both in the
Miscellany:

Preparation of Musammana [Buttered] Which Is Muwarraqa [Leafy]  (we
call it "the leafy dish)

Recipe for Murakkaba, a Dish which is Made in the Region of
Constantine and is Called Kutâmiyya (nickname "stack of pancakes, for
reasons that should be obvious when you read the recipe).
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/