[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Bread Recommendations?

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Wed Feb 26 04:32:04 PST 2003

   A warning on the coleman "oven" - it leaks like a sieve, so you need to
cover the joints with aluminum foil. I've only used it at one Gulf Wars,
were it made rolls just fine and the cinnamon buns (probably only modern,
but I didn't care and neither did the fighters who had hot fresh breakfast)
came out fine - but I'd be hesitant for anything that was supposed to bake
"high" in the middle. Oh - and don't believe the temp indicator, and the
thing is an _incredible_ user of propane.
   I was going to suggest a "Boy Scout oven", which is unsightly but quite
effective (and you can get rid of the evidence quickly), but think after
chirhert's kind offer... man, I'd go visit his camp! (If anyone is
interested in the Boy Scout Oven, I'll describe it, but it's very very
ugly - we used three to bake bread and dessert for a baronial camping trip
one year... the cook was skeptical, the ovens were made on site by my
13-year-old, and everything came out really nice... but the cook said "that
was just too weird to do again.")

Rosine