[Sca-cooks] 1421

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 26 06:57:49 PST 2003

I haven't read it or heard of it, but from the date, the author is
extrapolating from the great trade fleets of Admiral Zheng under the Emperor
Zhu Di.  There is a possibility that some Chinese explorers made it to North
America and there is a scholarly argument over whether the chronicle of the
voyage to Fushan (IIRC) is an account of a voyage to the New World.

There is some archeological evidence including some pottery comparisons, but
it is open to interpretation.  There is no irrefutable  evidence of a
Chinese presence in the New World.  The Chinese records don't seem to
support the Chinese diffusion theory.

The trade fleets were abandoned in 1433 and China became isolationist until
the Portuguese arrived in the next Century.

I think what you may have here is the new Barry Fell.  A lot of speculation
and hype in a pretty package based on some very sketchy evidence.  Frankly,
Zheng's trade with India, Africa and the Spice Islands is far more
fascinating than the highly speculative voyage to the New World.

Bear