[Sca-cooks] Re: Cake Class

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 26 10:27:03 PST 2003

Elise Fleming wrote:

> Selene wrote:
> >We're mostly making flowers by extruding substances through a
> pastry bag.
> >As I understand it, sugar plate is mainly sculpted or molded with
> in a mold made
> >of wood or other hard substances.  The fondant class we're doing on
> Thursday
> >seems to be closer to this than the other class is.  I really need
> to see sugar
> >plate done right before I try it, just so I know what I'm shooting
> for.
>
> Selene is correct.  Royal icing flowers, while eventually hard like
> gum paste, aren't the same thing.  Fondant is like gum paste.  An
> observation of mine:  Fondant, pastillage, gum paste, Mexican gum
> paste all seem to be basically the same thing.  There are variations
> in some of the ingredients, such as an added fat.  But generally,
> one can form objects by hand, with cutting tools, or in molds, from
> any of those.
>
> Alys Katharine

Yay!  I love it when I'm right.

Please tell me more about sugar plate.  I have pored over your fine work
as chronicled in the Florilegium, but I would like some detailed
description of what the stuff looks and feels like, wet and dry, so I
know when I've got the mixture right.

In gratitude,
Selene Colfox