[Sca-cooks] Good Housewife's Jewel (Dawson)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 26 20:35:28 PST 2003

 >Are there any readily available editions of this source other than the
 >one edited by Maggie Black?  I have some questions relating to the
 >original recipe order and such, and I'd like something closer to the
 >original for comparison.
 >
 >- Doc

I'm glad that Bear was able to answer this question so quickly.

For another source for these kinds of questions, you might try these files in
the FOOD-BOOKS section of the Florilegium:
cookbooks-msg     (72K) 12/21/01    Reviews of cookbooks with medieval
recipes.Messages posted before September 1995.
cookbooks2-msg    (70K) 12/25/01    Reviews posted between 9/95 and 11/97.
cookbooks3-msg   (240K)  1/27/02    Reviews posted after 11/97.

I do try to get messages such as Bear's into these files. So checking these
three files, or using the search engine (right now accesible only from the top
page of the Florilegium) might turn up comments on republications of
particular manuscripts.

Another possiblity is checking this file:
online-ckbks-msg  (41K)  8/20/02    Online versions of period cookbooks.
Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com