[Sca-cooks] Re: German book

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Feb 27 12:13:58 PST 2003

I didn't feel it was appropriate to forward the entire review (it's in The
Medieval Review, but it hasn't appeared on their website yet), but the
reviewer makes it very clear that the entire analysis of the records of
the papacy in this book is focusing on food. To quote a small portion of
the review:

"For food historians, chapters 5 and 6, which deal with food on regular
days and special occasions, are the heart of Weiss' study. From annual
expenses for foodstuffs under the different popes, the quantities and
types of food eaten on lean and meat days, the author moves on to the
technical equipment in the kitchen. "

The reviewer says he discusses in depth the sources of supply and the
offices that dealt with the food.

For SCA cooks, it may well not be worth the money; it's really more of a
food history book, and the reviewer only mentions recipes in the context
of one chapter, and that the author compared the records with extant
cookbooks, so it's unlikely to provide new recipes that don't appear in
other published sources.

-- Jadwiga