[Sca-cooks] What Crusaders Ate in the Levant...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 27 12:43:58 PST 2003

Petru 'cel Paros' Voda wrote:
>  Not that I ever intend to cook it but, out of sick curiosity, do we have
>  elsewhere any period recipes involving cat meat???
>
>>This page synopsizes some information from archaeological digs:
>>http://www.stlcc.cc.mo.us/fv/users/mfuller/sca/DietCrusader.html
>>Although the bibliographic information is sketchy, it looks like the
>>original sources can be tracked down.
>>
>>Lots of pig bones, a fair amount of sheep bones, a bit fewer cattle
>>bones, and, well, a fair amount of cat bones...
>>Also lists some plant matter, too, such as wheat, barley, favas, etc.
>>
>>No recipes, though :-)
>>
>>Anahita

While i listed cats, and they are listed among the finds, cotton is
also listed in with the plant matter, so there's not guarantee they
were food animals. I just thought "cat" was amusing, given a recent
thread on this list. I do not know if they actually ate the cats or
not. It's possible, but i don't know how probable.

I believe Brighid re-posted the 16th c. Catalan cat recipe recently

Anahita