[Sca-cooks] Cock-a-leekie soup reference

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 27 22:04:57 PST 2003

I asked if Johnna Holloway might be interested in having her 1981 article republished in the Florilegium, or even better a new and improved version and she replied:

> That's on a one of these days lists. I am too busy
> with the current projects and day to day to redo and update
> everything from 1973-84 at this time.

Yes, I understand. But you never know unless you ask. And while I could have
simply asked you by email, I asked in public so that perhaps this might spur
someone else to rewrite a previously written article that they now thought was
outdated, whether for the Florilegium or for somewhere else.

> Redoing the first decade
> of any career given what we now know and sources now available
> is daunting to say the least. In the SCA it seems more so.

Yes, but that should be easier than starting such a job completely from scratch.

> In this case until the books are all moved and shelved there
> seems little point to even start.

Yes, you have mentioned this situation before. This is the first time that I
knew a move was in the works, though. "All moved and shelved"? So your next
home is going to be in a warehouse? :-)

> In many cases I bought specific
> materials years later that answered question raised by doing the
> original articles. Everything would have to be incorporated to make
> a whole. I own a 1840's Meg Dods for instance. That ought to be
> referenced and there are all these annals and household accounts
> that I purchased that contain all the food purchases for various
> estates.

Yes, a revised article would be nice. But is the old article worse than
nothing? Does it have errors or just omissions? Would people still find it
useful if they could read it? Right now, I'm not even sure that back issues
are available that far back for T.I.

Another compromise would be to publish the article as it is, or was originally meant to be published, and then add a quick bibliography of these books you've found since then. People would then have the information you wrote then and a headstart on where to get more information.

Oh well. I'm certainly not trying to pick on Johnna. Even in the short time
she has been on this list she has given us innumerable book referances and
other info.
Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net