[Sca-cooks] Kosher Turkey Sausage

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur goldbergr1 at cox.net
Fri Feb 28 04:55:27 PST 2003

> Remember, that to be kosher, it is not sufficient to just not have pork.
> Part of kosher is to not mix dairy and meat.  You can mix dairy and
poultry,
> but not dairy and other meats.  It's part of the "not cooking an animal in
> the milk of its mother" restriction.

No, you can't. Poultry is just as fleishig as beef. Eggs are considered
pareve - neutral.

Some authorities say you can mix FISH and dairy; others say you can eat them
at the same meal but cannot cook them in the same dish.

To answer the original question, I recently made homemade turkey sausage,
adapted from one of Mistress Brekke's recipes for a veal sausage. The recipe
includes grated cheese, but that could easily be left out. I used Empire
frozen chicken fat, and the turkey fat/skin from two birds to make up the
requisite amount of fat. I also used Woodchuck Apple Cider (a commercial
hard cider) instead of water.

Veal 4 lb
Beef Suet 1 lb
Marjoram 2 Tbsp