[Sca-cooks] Re: Salted herring now salt cod

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 1 00:55:55 PST 2003

Ciorstan commented:
> Robert writes:
>> the easyest ricipe for salt cod i know is to soak for
>> 3 days,changing the water every 8-12 hrs.this removes
>> the salt and plumps the fish.
>> shread the fish .place shreaded fish on bread add hot
>> sauce and in joy!
>
> Robert-- that sounds perilously close to LUTEFISK!
Not quite. I don't see Robert mentioning any use of lye in this

description. This is just the usual way of reconstituting the dried cod.
This definition is from my stockfish-msg file:

> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 10:22:55 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy at abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>
> Subject: Re: SC - re:  lutefisk!
>
>   What is lutefisk?
>
> lutefisk - noun
>     A traditional Scandinavian dish prepared by soaking air-dried cod
>     in a lye solution for several weeks before skinning, boning, and
>     boiling it, a process that gives the dish its characteristic
>     gelatinous consistency.
>
>     [Norwegian : lut, lye + fisk, fish (from Old Norse fiskr).]

There are plenty more messages in this file on lutefisk for those
that might be interested. Since this file is almost to my nominal limit
perhaps I ought to cleave off a lutefisk-msg file.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com