[Sca-cooks] Ma'amul molds

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 1 01:01:37 PST 2003

>Linda Peterson <mirhaxa at morktorn.com> wrote:
>>Did anyone ever locate a source for ma'amul molds? Someone brought some to
>>the desert competition at our Midwinter and they were wonderful! I want to
>>try my hand at them now.
>
>Turns out that one of my local hallal markets had 'em - not marked as
>to what they were and tucked way down on a bottom shelf. I don't
>recall what i paid for mine... Somewhere between $4 and $6. It was
>hand carved wood, somewhat crude. They had several different designs
>- but i can't remember what they were (aa-ee!)
>
>I think one was sort of a star or stylized flower inside a circle.
>There was one that was rather plain and i think there was another...
>Sheesh. I was there in late August or early September.

Yup.  Mine is like that.  Any they do come in all assortment of designs
because they are all handmade rather than stamped out of a machine.  I think
I paid about the same price roughly.

>I can see if they have more and get back to you... ( but not until at
>least next week - since, well this week end is Twelfth Night, and,
>well, party tonight, movie and sewing tomorrow, more sewing Thursday,
>leaving town Friday at Noon, back sometime Sunday...
>
>I haven't used mine yet - but now that i've perfected that Medieval
>Irnin recipe - and it's practically mamoul - i'll have to give it a
>try. I think the "dough" needs to be really buttery-oily so it
>doesn't stick - or am i misleading myself?

When we use it we jam it in the flour bowl between each cookie, roll out the
refrigerator cookie dough, press it in, fill it and stick a circle on the
bottom to close and press it pretty hard to seal.  Then we just whack the
cookie out of the mould.  We tried oiling it but found the flour works just
fine.