[Sca-cooks] just grousing

Debra Hense DHense at ifmc.org
Fri Jan 3 13:27:14 PST 2003

Boy, when things fall apart - they fall apart past in my life.

I just quit the second job because I was all caught up on my bills and
no longer in danger of falling behind - due to a promotion and payraise.
 When what should happen - my upstairs toilet stops working - after
replacing all the insides except for the low-flow portion - have
determined it is the low-flow portion which means it will be cheaper to
just replace the whole toilet than to bring in a plumber.

My oven thermostat seems to have quit working - it goes into overdrive
- ie: blackens everything in 20 minutes. Thank goodness I had most of my
christmas goodies already baked.  But, I burned my bread and my two pies
this weekend that I was taking to our potluck yule court.  The bread I
could almost understand.  I was busy, I might have messed up on the time
I put it into the oven, I hadn't remember to set the timer.  But, the
two pies I was watching like a hawk when the smoke started appearing in
the oven vents.  It took days to clear the burned smell.  My daughter
and I ended up stopping at the grocery and taking bread, butter, and
some darling oranges instead. I just don't feel like a cook without my
oven.

And to top it all off - this morning I discovered my chest freezer was
defrosting everything in the freezer.  I rescued two roasts of meat and
the two ducks by moving them into my refrigerator freezer (after taking
out the christmas cookies that hadn't been eaten yet and my flour).  I
took the veggies over to the neighbors to refreeze in their freezer.
But, I ended up having to cook the corned beef (crockpot), 3 pounds of
thick-sliced bacon, and I thin-sliced the chuck roast, will marinate it
this evening and cook it up for stir-fry which we will be eating all
weekend.

I need a roommate who can fix things - a plumber/electrician/carpenter.
 I even have the spare bedroom - which is large (15x14) and has two
walk-in-closets that I'm willing to rent in exchange for hours spent
fixing this place up.  Only problem is:  I live in Des Moines, Iowa.

An extremely disheartened Kateryn who wishes she hadn't quit that
second job now.

Signing off soon to go home and see if unplugging  the freezer for half
an hour and replugging it back in fixed the defrost problem.  I left a
cup of water in the freezer - if it refreezes - I fixed the problem.  If
it doesn't refreeze...

Catch up with ya all when I read the digests on Monday