[Sca-cooks] A Feast Experiment

Catherine Hartley catherine1966 at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 3 21:29:30 PST 2003

Hello the list:

After along break from the list (try catching up on 5000 cooks list posts....), I come out of hiding (I am a very occasional poster here) and I have question for the adventurous.

I have begun the research for a feast idea that popped into my head after reading a welsh cookbook that basically documented food the welsh might have eaten in period by going back to poems and stories. As I am cooking a feast at a hunt themed event, I am looking to "cross document" my dishes with anecdotal evidence found in stories and poems taht have a traveling or hunting theme or as close as you can get.

If anyone knows of stories and/or poems that mention things such as Haslet and other yummy hunt type foods...please forward to me and I will promise to send copies of the recipes after it (the feast or menu prep) is done...

I have most of my sotelties documented...sugar plate and marzipan figures and tartlet castles...with meat filling no less...(stories love to talk aboutt the cool things...)

So think back to your favorite stories and poems that mention food and send them my way!

Thanks in advance!

Caitlin of Ennniskillen