[Sca-cooks] A Feast Experiment

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jan 4 17:33:40 PST 2003

Also sprach Catherine Hartley:

>If anyone knows of stories and/or poems that mention things such as
>Haslet and other yummy hunt type foods...please forward to me and I
>will promise to send copies of the recipes after it (the feast or
>menu prep) is done...

I was looking at "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" last evening to
see if there was anything that might help. There are both feasts
(which the poet specifically declines to describe in detail,
unfortunately) and hunting scenes, and some rather ritualistic
presentations of slaughtered, butchered, game. As I recall there are
three such scenes, one involving venison (as in deer, rib meat,
IIRC), the second, a boar, and I forget the third.

Adamantius