[Sca-cooks] doll and castle sizes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 4 00:16:42 PST 2003

Kirsten declared:
> a barbie is a twelve inch doll?
> assume she is tall, like most models.. and close to 6 feet....
> so she would be a TWO inch to one foot scale.. or double the size of most of
> the standard dollhouse stuff.
>
> impressive, but doable.
Well, I wanted to do some checking on this. Unfortunately, all of my

castle books which would have more precise dimensions, specifically the
hieght and dimensions of the curtain wall of some castles are currently
packed away. I did however find a Time Life Book, TimeFrame AD 1000-1100.

It indicates that the "White Tower - still the core of the present day

Tower of London - in its original form was a three story, turrented
structure standing almost ninety feet high." This was a fairly simple
castle, although there were later castles that were either bigger or
smaller. Many were larger in area, especially if you count the curtain
walls and not just the keep.

At two inches to a one foot scale, a doll house of the White Tower would

be 180 inches (15 ft) tall. I can't tell if the ninety feet dimension given
includes the towers too or just to the roofline, so I assumed only 90 ft tall.
It looks to be about this big in length also, not including the curtain wall
which looks to be at least twice this long in one direction.

Oooh. *I* want a living room that is 30 ft by 15 ft with 15 ft ceilings... :-)

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com