[Sca-cooks] Re: Re: NOT QUITE A DICK

Butterflye butterflye at runbox.com
Sat Jan 4 17:48:49 PST 2003

> The "chef" kept saying how it would fillet a fish with ease, but all he
eve=
> r fillet'd was a tomato and an orange.  Why didn't he ever fillet this
fish=
>  he kept talking about?  And did I mention that they NEVER NEED
SHARPENING!

A couple of years ago I bought some Gen-yoo-wine Ginsu knives from a guy
selling them after a demo in a grocery store. I got 2 of the big Ginsu's, a
filleting knife, a vegetable parer, and a set of 6 steak knives for
something like $20, and since it was a good enough set for the money, I
figured if it wouldn't cut through a pop can, that was ok.

Well, earlier this year I needed to cut a small length of 1-1/2" PVC pipe,
and could not find the saw that would have been the ideal tool to use for
the purpose. Just on a whim and for the grins, I grabbed one of the Ginsu's
and began to saw away. It did, indeed, cut through the pipe. Quite nicely.
But the job left the poor knife with a couple of permanent nicks, so while
it SHOULD never need sharpening, it does, indeed, need sharpening. The one
I've been decent with is sharp as ever -- well, so is the one I used to cut
pipe, but it does have these nicks in the blade that make it cut rather
jagged edges.

Don't you love infomercials! Almost as fun as the guys at the County Fair.

~~ Lorète du Papillon