[Sca-cooks] lettuce?

Arglwyddes Rhiannhn uerch Rhianfellt uerch Rhydderch Rhayader rhiannahn at activatormail.com
Sun Jan 5 21:34:30 PST 2003

One of my more recent acquisitions of cookery books - John Murrell: A new
booke of Cookerie; London Cookerie. London 1615 ... offers these three
recipes using lettuce (lettice) .....

Arglwyddes Rhiannahn

To boyle a Chyne of Mutton, or Veale, in sharpe broth, on the French fashion.

COuer your meat with faire water, and a little white Wine, a piece ofwhole
Mace, a Nutmeg quartered, a handfull of Hearbes cleane pickt, and bruised
with the backe of a Ladle, yong Lettice, Spinnage, Parsley, tops of young
Time: when all is boyled well together, thicken it with a crust of
Maunchet, and the yolke of a hard Egge, steeped in some of the same broth,
and draw it through a strainer, and thicken your broath with it. Season it
with a little Uergis and Pepper.

To boyle Chickins with Lettice, the best way.

CUt euery Chicken in foure quarters, after the parboyling of them, and put
them into a Pipkin with two or three sweet-Breads of Ueale: or if you can
not so readily come by so many then take the Udder of a Ueale, and parboyle
it very well. Cut it in  pieces, and put it into the Pipkin, with a sliced
Lemmon. Then take Lettice: cut them, and wash them cleane, and bruise them
with the backe of a Ladle, and put them into the Pipkin: then take a good
deale of sweet Butter, about the quantity of halfe a pound, halfe a pinte
of Sacke, a quarter of a pinte of white Wine, Mace, a  sliced Date, a
Nutmeg: you may put in three or foure Dates sliced, if you haue so many.
Let all these boyle  together ouer the fire with  Marigold-flowers, and
sweet Hearbes.

To smoore Calues feet. Another way.

BLaunch them as before, put them in a Dish with fayre water and Butter,
chop Lettice, and Spinnage, with the backe of your Knife: and put them in a
Dish: let them boyle with large Mace, sliced Lemmon, a few Grapes, or a
stewed Cucumber sliced. Let all boyle well together with Pepper: straine
into a Dish the yolkes of Egges, Uergis, and Sugar: straine them together
when they goe to the  Table. This boyling will serue for  Neates feet,
Sheepes Trotters, or Hogges feet: serue them hot at Supper.

--

---

ActivatorMail(tm) ver.122102 Scanned for all viruses by
www.activatormail.com intelligent anti-virus anti-spam service