[Sca-cooks] pennsic iron chef competition

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 4 22:01:12 PST 2003

I am curiously interested in this Iron Chef competition at Pennsic.  I am
probably the only person in the modern world who has never seen the TV show
though and have no idea what to make of the rules at the sca site.  It says
a team can spend up to $100.  What is the deal?  You make up a menu with
documentation and bring everything and then at the last minute they spring
the secret ingredient on you?  That is what it sounds like, but what if you
have planned all these vegetable dishes and desserts and the suprize
ingredient is a fish?  If you leave all you cookbooks at home how in the
world would you be able to revamp your menu (and ingredients) and document
it?  I guess I don't get it.  Gunthar, this sounds like kinda like what you
did.  Maybe you or others could give me a hint.  If it ever makes sense to
me, I think I would like to be on a team.
Olwen