[Sca-cooks] OoP, OT Where to live

jthompson at katspit.net jthompson at katspit.net
Wed Jan 8 11:58:08 PST 2003

Unfortunately, the most perfect place to live that I can think of doesn't
match your first criteria. Cost of Living is high in Hawaii, but it's
physically beautiful. As fond as I am of Northern CA (with an emotional
weakness for the Sacramento River Valley), Kauai is, well, the kind of
place where movies representing Paradise are made. Housing is horrible, but
street fairs and ethnic (though mostly Pacific and Asian) restaurants
abound. And finally there's even a proper TexMex place in Kailua. For
years, the closest they could get was CalMex, which really isn't the same
at all.

My folks' place doesn't *have* heat or air conditioning. They have windows
and ceiling fans. The first summer they were there, my dad called to tell
me that there was a heat wave and at 92 degrees, the'd just broken records.
I was sitting in East Texas on a 114 degree day. That's one of the very few
times I've ever used obscene language directed at my father.

Politically left of Center is, ahem, not a problem. I have a radical idea.
The University of Hawaii offers a visiting professor program. They won't
pay your travel costs or anything, but they will give you a contract job.
You go over for a semester, live there and teach (actaully, a lot of folks
use it as a chance to vary their statistical demographic field on their
research. Any semester you choose, even the shortened Winter Break six (I
think) week one.

I'm pulling all of this out of ten year old memory (I took one of those
contracts - Fall Semester - September to December 1992), so let me know if
you are interested and your MA field and I'll send on contact info. I have
friends.