[Sca-cooks] Question about Camp Food - One-Hide Meals

SableSwanHerald at aol.com SableSwanHerald at aol.com
Fri Jan 17 09:27:38 PST 2003

Hello all -

On a tangent to the meat and vegetables in a pot, then oatmeal in the broth,
in a book on food anthropology I read of a true "ancient Irish dish" wherein
a cow would be slaughtered, the meat hewn into chunks and then placed in the
hide, milk added to fill and cover, the entirety sewn shut and hung over the
fire to boil.

Never seen anyone do that at an event.  :-)  That's the one I always suggest
when approached for "traditional Irish fare" (by which folks are generally
thinking Irish soda bread).  This one was documented by mention in chronicles
- I do not know what archaeological evidence has been uncovered.

Berengaria