[Sca-cooks] Petits Propos Culinaires #71

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 22 16:57:58 PST 2003

Greetings.  The new issue just arrived.  Laura Mason (who has
written a book on the history of sugar/candy in England) has a
several-page-with-photos review of "Royal Sugar Sculpture".  There
is also an interesting article on "The Turk's Head" by Anna
Martellotti which follows this historical dish from a late
13th-century recipe on up.  Original texts are given with no English
translations (drat).  Seems to me some folk were discussing this a
few years ago.  I haven't had time to sit down and really read the
articles but wanted to let folk know about the new issue.

There's a note about the website www.kookhistorie.com which is all
in Dutch but contains "electronic texts of _De Verstandige Koch_,
the only printed cookery book of the seventeenth century from the
northern Netherlands...1669; the _Cocboeck_ of Carel Baten (1593);
and of _Een Notabel boecxken van cokeryen_, the first Dutch cookery
book...1514." The transcriptions are said to be very legible with
full glossaries and introductory material.

Our own Johnna Holloway's review of _A Proper Newe Booke of Cokery_
appears on pages 118-120.

Alys Katharine