p-medicine (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Trying again)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 24 20:54:21 PST 2003

Maggie asked:
> Did you ever read the Mother Earth News article where they discussed
> natural remedies for first aid? I especially remember one where they told
> you if you had a cut on your finger, to put it in your mouth and suck on
> it. You removed foreign bodies from the cut, and gave yourself a shortcut
> to working on resistance to whatever ickies were in it. After that, if
> there was an issue, for some reason i seem to recall they recommended
> dressing it with honey (which is .. anerobic? antimicrobial? something)
Yes, apparently honey is a good item to use. I believe that it dries up

the little beasties, much as salt water will. This is also the reason
you need to dilute honey before you can make mead with it.

For more details on this kind of stuff, I highly recommend this book.

I (and others) have mentioned this book before. But now I have it in
my (expanding) book database.
Honey, Mud, Maggots and Other Medical Marvals - The Science Behind Folk
Remedies and Old Wive's Tales

Root-Bernstein, Robert and Michele

Mariner Books.
1997 (1998)