[Sca-cooks] OT: new ribbon question

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Sat Jan 25 10:00:17 PST 2003

ok. first a touch of background....

the reflective ribbon we are having  _custom made_  is going to be
Scotch-light strips laminated to a colored ribbon.  Scotch-light looks like
a dark silvery grey in daylight, but reflects car headlights brightly to
about 100-200 yards.
it is *washable* and *dryable* and can be dry cleaned with some care.

i need feed back on both the type of ribbon, and the sizes of ribbon.

we are going to have the reflective laminate custom cut to 1/8th inch wide
strips.... i already sell wider reflective ribbon, this stuff is supposed to
be less "obvious" and more suited to real clothes and period garb.

we were thinking of ribbon in the following sizes: 3/8 inch, 7/8 inch, and 1
1/2 inch.  in a variety of colors....

would you prefer a grosgrain ribbon, or a satin ribbon? assuming both could
be done....is there a specific problem with either?

this is the patterns we were thinking of ("O" is the colored ribbon, and "X"
is the Scotch-light stripe.. remember, it will look like a dull silvery grey
in daylight or normal light... each letter represents 1/8th of an inch)

OXO
OXO
OXO
OXO
OXO

OXOOOXO
OXOOOXO
OXOOOXO
OXOOOXO
OXOOOXO

OOXOOOOOOXOO
OOXOOOOOOXOO
OOXOOOOOOXOO
OOXOOOOOOXOO
OOXOOOOOOXOO

we are mostly considering the wide (1 1/2 inch) ribbon as some people had
expressed a desire to perhaps embroider down the center, or add other
embellishments.

what do you think of the sizes of ribbon?
what do you think of the pattern?
grosgrain or satin? (assuming either is possible)

we would be trying to get an initial run of twelve colors... so far the
primary ones in consideration are: Black, White, Vorkosigen Brown, Grey,
Dark Green, Moss Green, Dark Blue, Light Blue, Maroon, Red, Lilac, Purple,
and a couple small rolls in a dusty plum.

please let me know.. we are talking about a lot of up front investment, so i
need the feedback.

my primary customers are the SCA, Rennies, SF fandom, Pagans and their
friends.... but other people find their way to my web pages.. and a lot of
parents like the idea of reflective trim.

forward this one on if you know someone who would be good for advice...
Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
Philadelphia, PA     U.S.A.
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

I worry about you, wear a reflective sweater...