[Sca-cooks] Honey

SableSwanHerald at aol.com SableSwanHerald at aol.com
Mon Jan 27 02:16:37 PST 2003

Hi all -

Doc posted something about honey attracting bacteria, putting it on wounds,
etc. -
actually, honey has natural antibacterial properties and some funky naturally
occurring clusters of stuff that promote healing.  It was heavily mentioned
for use on wounds in ancient Egyptian medicine over a quite lengthy time
period; while not modern medicine and having numerous erroneous concepts, the
ancient Egyptians did manage to treat a number of conditions rather
successfully for the era, and I doubt this particular practice would have
survived as long as it did without some rate of success that wasn't
accidental.

I'm sorry, I used to have a link for a site about this, with the exact
numbers of antibiotic compounds, on my other computer - which quit working.
I know it's kind of sucky to post such a vague cite, but it was sent to me by
friends who were researching natural healing compounds and we discussed it at
length at an event.  We haven't switched over to it in a kitchen setting for
handwashing :-), but there was some method to the madness.

Berengaria