[Sca-cooks] Honey

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Mon Jan 27 07:33:30 PST 2003

On Monday, January 27, 2003, at 05:16 AM, SableSwanHerald at aol.com wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> Doc posted something about honey attracting bacteria, putting it on
> wounds,
> etc. -
> actually, honey has natural antibacterial properties and some funky
> naturally
> occurring clusters of stuff that promote healing.  It was heavily
> mentioned
> for use on wounds in ancient Egyptian medicine over a quite lengthy
> time
> period; while not modern medicine and having numerous erroneous
> concepts, the
> ancient Egyptians did manage to treat a number of conditions rather
> successfully for the era, and I doubt this particular practice would
> have
> survived as long as it did without some rate of success that wasn't
> accidental.

Yes, my wife corrected me on that account yesterday evening.

When considering folk medicine from a scientific viewpoint there's a
tendency to throw the baby out with the bath water.  Mea culpa.
However, I still stand by my statement that soap, water, and clean
bandages are the best course for minor cuts (and major cuts need the
attention of a physician).

- Doc