[Sca-cooks] indian cooking

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Tue Jan 28 05:35:15 PST 2003

IIRC they are paneer dumplings in rosewater...

i have those now and then when i am feeling like pampering myself and going
off atkins...

margali
Saffron Paneer Dessert

INGREDIENTS

250 gm home-made paneer
1 tsp roasted semolina
2-3 tbsp castor sugar
¼ tsp crushed cardamom seeds
1 tbsp almond powder
1 tbsp sliced pistachio nuts
1 tbsp raisins
1 tbsp cream/ milk

Topping
2 tbsp cream
1 tsp soaked saffron strands
2 tbsp dried fruit
1 paan leaf
1" stick cinnamon
1 piece of coal
1 tbsp ghee

METHOD

Beat paneer until smooth. Add semolina, sugar, spice and almond powder. Cook
on a slow flame for five minutes. Stir in the pistachio nuts.

Bind with cream and place in a heatproof bowl.

For the topping, spoon on the cream. Sprinkle with saffron and dried fruit.
Press on the paan leaf and place the cinnamon stick on top with the hot
coal.

Pour on hot ghee and seal for five minutes. Remove the foil and serve.

the quote starts here:
The one that really got me though was a milk-based dessert - sort of
like Kheer but golden colored.  I had expected it to be mango flavored
or some such, but my first taste told me where the color came from -
saffron.  The saffron wasn't too heavy, but it was certainly front and
center.  I'm going to see if I can get the recipe, and when I get home
tonight I'm going to look for something similar in period (milk, sugar,
walnuts, saffron, cook it to death - there's got to be something like
that in period English cooking).

- Doc